Blog

Wine tourism: the cellars welcome, show, offer hospitality

Wine tourism: the cellars welcome, show, offer hospitality

In Italy there are 169 Roads of Wine and Flavors, of which 57 in only three regions: Tuscany, Veneto and Emilia Romagna
April 13, 2018

Wine lovers love to visit the places of production. And the cellars get closer to the tourist target. 388,881 wineries are active in Italy. Of these there is no precise information on how many tourist services are offered, such as, for example, guided tours, accommodation and catering. To evaluate the services offered the First Report on Italian Food and Wine Tourism has  valued over two thousand sample companies based on the  XIV Report on Italian agri-food and wine production Dop, Igp and Stg, published by Ismea. 52% of the companies produce only wine, while the remaining 48% combine other products, in particular oil and spirits. Of the 2,050 analyzed realities, 1,350 (66%, or more than half) offer tourist reception services of various kinds (opening of the winery to the public for tastings, events and visits, guided tours of the structure by reservation, accommodation possibilities). As for the type of services, 1,230 (60%) are open to the public on weekends, for visits, tastings or events in the cellar; 917 (45%) offer the possibility of guided tours of the structure only upon reservation; finally, 487 (24%) host accommodation facilities of various types and sizes.  Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto and Lombardy are those with the highest number of companies with tourism services on an absolute level. By evaluating the ratio between the percentage of companies with and without services, Piedmont is the region with the highest degree of openness to tourism: out of 348 companies, 278 (80%) offer tourist services, almost entirely open to the public and guided tours . Tuscany stands out for the offer of accommodation: in the region, wine-producing companies with tourism services are 362 out of 533 (68%). And well 204 offer accommodation.